I am a native English speaker from Kansas in the United States. I've been teaching English for over 6 years in various countries around the world. Although, this was not the profession I had planned when attending university, becoming an English teacher was one of the best decisions I've made in life and it has truly become a passion of mine.
Meeting new students and helping them learn a new skill brings me such joy and satisfaction. In July I made the decision to move back to the United States to be closer to family. However, I would like to continue doing the job I love, which is helping students learn and gain the confidence to communicate in another language. Please do contact me for more information about me and my classes. Kind regards, Ashley
CELTA - Pass B: IH Budapest October, 2010
1. Seoul, South Korea: I worked as an instructor in a kindergarten for 8 months teaching students from ages 4-15.
2. Moscow, Russia: I taught adults and children from beginner to advanced levels at BKC-IH Moscow for nearly 3 years.
3. Pimentel, Peru: I worked as a volunteer instructor in a small language school teaching adults and teenagers for 6 months.
4. Dili, Timor-Leste: I participated in a month long program instructing soldiers in practical English and basic maths at a military base outside Dili. The program was in its first year, so I also developed the syllabus and curriculum.
5. Shenzhen, China: I worked for Web International at one of their language centers instructing adults.
6. Online Instruction: Since moving back to the United States this summer I have been teaching online with Skype and would like to increase the number of classes I teach.
I believe learning should be fun, enjoyable, and practical. I generally place an emphasis on speaking during the lesson while understanding that a strong grammar and vocabulary background is also quite important. Therefore, after each lesson I assign homework to reinforce those aspects of the topic covered in class.
Each class would consist of a review from the previous lesson, introduction of the new topic, then practice of the new topic. Review and repetition are important to truly learn and improve. As a teacher I am positive, encouraging, and upbeat. I also understand that each student has individual goals and needs, so I try to customize lessons for each student's needs as much as possible.
Tutor not yet rated.