Hello, my name is Gillian and I am a native English speaker living by the sea in England. I have been teaching English to professionals and retired professionals for over 25 years. I love travelling and meeting people from all over the world, so working online is perfect for me. I offer a discounted trial lesson so that I can get to know you and your needs.
Why study with me?
• Over 25 years experience of teaching professional clients from all over the world, including four years' experience online.
• Native speaker with clear, neutral British English accent
• Positive, patient and supportive, I listen to you and focus 100% on your needs
• Improve your knowledge and accuracy for business, travel, and/or conversation
• Improve your confidence in social and business situations
• Understand grammatical structures and relevance to your needs.
• Prepare for a important presentation or specific meeting, or review an important email or report
• Confidentiality assured, you can work on sensitive work-related material
• All materials provided, including optional self-study materials at no extra cost, so you can continue to learn after the lesson
• All levels from elementary (A1) to proficiency (C2)
In the 28 years I have been teaching English i have been fortunate to work with a very wide variety of clients. These have included:
• managers, secretaries, accountants, politicians, airline pilots, doctors and many, many other professionals all wanting to improve their English for their careers
• retired professionals who never needed English in their careers, but who now want to learn English to help them to travel the world
• wives and husbands of professionals wishing to travel and socialise with their partners on business trips
• complete beginners in their 50s and 60s, who never learnt English at school, but who now work for an American parent company
• professionals who need to improve their English for social situations
• advanced English speakers needing to be 100% sure of their English for a formal presentation, company report or press release
• professionals who have worked for a wide range of companies and organisations including Euro Disney, the International Olympic Committee, Torino Football Club, UBS AG, Credit Suisse, PricewaterhouseCoopers, and many other backgrounds, including manufacturing, insurance and reinsurance, pharmaceuticals, and NGOs (non-governmental organisations) in developing counties
• 2001 Certificate in Teaching One to One, ARELS
• 1997 Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Trinity College London
When I was a child at secondary school I studied French, with English teachers, and hated it. I thought I could never learn a second language successfully. But since the age of 24 I have been learning Italian and have found that, with the right approach, I can learn a language and enjoy it. The feedback from my students tells me that I am a positive, patient and supportive teacher, probably as a direct result of my own negative experience at secondary school! The feedback also says that I provide clear explanations, and comprehensive error correction and feedback.
I listen to you and focus on your needs, so lessons are 100% customised. Throughout my teaching career I have focused on continuous professional development with the result that I am experienced in a range of teaching methods and techniques and can adapt to different learner styles. Together we will study at your speed and in your own way. Each client is different and there is no right way or wrong way. I also offer each client optional self-study materials at no extra cost, so you an continue to learn outside of the lesson.