Hello! I’m Yasmin. I’m 27 and from Somerset in the UK. Meeting new people and learning about different places and languages has always inspired me to travel. I am currently in Chile with my husband and learning Spanish. Being a language learner myself, I understand the challenges my students face and have developed some tricks over the years to help motivate myself and my students and lead to faster, more useful learning.
I have been an English Teacher for three years and have taught in Spain, Hungary, Nicaragua, China and online. I also volunteer for a children’s charity as a writer. I am passionate about helping people to learn and grow and believe that students improve the most when they are genuinely interested and excited by the lesson topics.
As well as teaching English, I have worked at a university as a Sabbatical Officer, representing students interests to the university and outside parties, managing a large team of staff and volunteers and providing training in financial planning and student engagement. I have also worked at a sustainable development charity, providing training to volunteers and managing logistics. Having worked with people from all over the world, including in China for one year as an English teacher, getting to know new people and learning about different cultures is something I love.
In my spare time, I love to bake, practice yoga, hike and climb. I’m also an avid reader and take a particular interest in the environment and gender.
- CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) from International House, Budapest.
- Bachelor of Science in Biology (First Class with Honours) from Imperial College London.
- Master of Science (Merit) in Health, Population & Society from The London School of Economics.
I have taught students from the ages of 3 to 75, both online and in the classroom in Hungary, Spain, China and Nicaragua. I have taught one-on-one lessons in person and online, providing tailored lesson plans and topics to suit students’ needs and interests. Online, I have taught classes of up to 3 students, and in the classroom, classes of up to 80 students.
- Exam preparation: IELTS & Trinity.
- College & University Preparation: Students in China preparing to apply to or move to the United States or the United Kingdom to attend College or University.
- CLIL (Content & Language Integrated Learning): I have used English as a second language to teach the subjects of Mathematics, Science, Yoga, Child Protection & Health & Safety to students aged 15 to 40.
- Yoga: During a year-long teaching position in China, I designed and taught an English course through the medium of Yoga, using movement and stories to engage students from the ages of 3 to 14, build their confidence using English and practice a range of skills.
- Academic course design: I have designed courses for individuals, on topics such as Biochemistry, and for larger classes on topics such as book reading, health & safety and academic writing for teenage and adult students. These courses were taught by me and other teachers.
When I first meet a student, I spend time getting to know them, their abilities, skills and motivations for learning English. Using this information, I create specific courses that will help them to improve the skills they want to, using topics and activities that they will enjoy and get excited about. Whether you want to improve your English to use in your business, chat to family or apply to university, I can create a course that’s perfect for you.
I focus on the four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking and know that often the skill a student finds the most difficult skill is the one a student wants to practice the least. By using a variety of multimedia and activities, I make learning fun and help students to see the progress they are making, which is essential for motivation.
I am a constant learner, and this also applies to my work as a teacher. I spend time every week to research new methods of teaching, different activities to practice skills, vocabulary and grammar, and to find new, helpful resources to share with my students.
I understand the challenges that language learners can face, and I also experience them every day as I try to learn Spanish. Some days, the language doesn’t make sense and you feel like it’s just too hard. I understand, and I have been there. Over the years I have developed a few tricks and practices that can help students to stay on track and make learning a language easy, fun and rewarding.
Thank you for reading my profile, and I hope to see you in my classroom soon!
Tutor not yet rated.