Hello! My name is Tracey Pogue and I am a reitred ESL/English teacher, I taught for 26 years and have experience teaching children all the way up to adults. I am friendly, outgoing, love meeting new people, and am dedicated to my profession. I have a Master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Texas in San Antornio. I also have a Bachelor's degree in Secondary English from Minot State University in Minot, North Dakota. I also have another degree in Fashion Merchandising from Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, Kentucky. I love to teach lessons on grammar, writing, reading comprehension, or everyday conversational English. I am offering your first lesson free to get to know you and also so you can get to know me to see if you like my teaching style. I like my students to engage in conversation with me so I can see where they stand in their language proficiency level, where they need improvement, and how best I can help them to speak and write English more fluently.
Coordinator / Administrative support/ Trainer/Tutor
• Results oriented Professional with over 26 years of experience effectively teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) and implementing innovative coordination processes.
Substitute Teacher ,Judson Independent School District- 8012 Shin Oak Dr, Live Oak, TX 78233, January 13,2019 to present
Online tutoring service- July 2016 to present
• Tutor students in their homes in surrounding areas in English and ESL
Samuel Clemens High School/Byron P. Steele High School-Schertz, Texas/Cibolo, Texas 1999-
2017 ESL Teacher /English Teacher
• Apply differentiated learning principles to successfully develop and implement appropriate, individualized curriculum for English I (ESL I), English 2 (ESL 2) and ESL
• Leveraged subject matter expertise to successfully serve as Facilitator at National Council of teachers of English
Strategically utilize knowledge to train area teachers in English Language Proficiency
• Identify individual strengths and weaknesses, as well as proficiency level, by conducting assessments on each newly enrolled student.
• Train students on effective test taking practices, critical to promoting elevated pass rate of STAAR test.
• Resourcefully rate results of Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment (TELPAS).
Other Employment in the Teaching Field:
Seguin Adult Education Services (ESL Teacher) 2009-2010
Southwest High School - San Antonio, Texas 1997-1999
Hamlin Middle School - Corpus Christi, Texas 1994-1997
Baker Middle School – Corpus Christi, Texas 1992-1994
Ray High School - Corpus Christi, Texas 1990-1992
Masters Degree – Curriculum and Instruction, University of Texas- San Antonio – San Antonio, Texas, 1999
B.S. Fashion Merchandising, Eastern Kentucky University – Richmond, Kentucky, 1980
B.S. Secondary Education- English, Minot State University – Minot, North Dakota, 1988
English as a Second Language (ESL) Certification -The University of Texas- Corpus
Special Training/Seminars Completed:
Language Proficiency Assessment Training
Boys Town Model Training
SIOP Training for ESL Students and Teachers
IOWA Basic Skills Assessment Training
Language Assessment Scales Training
2012 Insurance Adjuster’s Course for State Certification
As far as my teaching approach is concerned, I truly believe that all students can learn! All the student needs is a great attitude, a desire to learn, and the ability to seek learning out. Knowledge is Power! The more that we know as human beings, the better life we can have and be happy! We do not need to struggle because we do not know a language. Although learning a language is hard when one becomes older, it most certainly can be done, it just takes a longer time to achieve fluency. I like the students to talk as much as I do in a lesson. Also, if a student does not understand something, please let me know. Do not feel embarrassed by this in the least. Sometimes I even learn from my students- even if it is just to say hello or goodbye in his or her language! I have a great sense of humor and like to laugh and make my students feel comfortable. When a student feels comfortable, then he or she can be relaxed and let the learning process take place naturally.
Tutor not yet rated.