Hello! My name is Abbie and I have been teaching English online for over 10 years. I am Canadian and a native English speaker, but I currently live in Central America. Living in a foreign country and learning Spanish myself helps me to understand and share the many challenges of ESL students. I enjoy exploring nature, travel, and learning about new cultures. I love learning new things from my students about their countries, their jobs, their food, and everything else that makes us different but still the same!
It is very important to me that my students enjoy their classes, but always feel they have accomplished something new, and improved their skills. I enjoy having a fun, but focused, time with kids learning English, however I also have extensive experience helping business professionals develop their skills. We will practice using topics that are part of YOUR life - your work, your city, your hobbies. I will help you to be able to COMMUNICATE clearly, comfortably, and confidently!
I look forward to meeting you soon! Take care!
- Native English speaker - Canadian
- TEFL/TESOL certified (120 hour)
- Teaching English (ESL) online for 10+ years
- Participation in a local public speaking course weekly
- Corporate business English (Spain), group classes for 3+ years (A1-C2 levels)
- Private one on one students built by positive references - adults, teens, and children
- Children, beginner level one on one and group classes for 3+ years
- Home school teacher - in person, American curriculum, grades 3 & 5 (2 children) for 1 year
- Provided level assessments for new corporate contracts, to facilitate the placement of students in group classes
- Lesson writing, preparation & delivery of individual students, as well as contributing to curriculum of major European school platforms
- Participated in program for refining the CEFR level system
- Provided demo/sales classes for several schools - Asian & Spanish
- Legal transcription, audio to hard copy - requires extremely high attention to detail and knowledge of English grammar and punctuation - 5+ years
- Well practiced in taking calm & productive control of a classroom, both online and in person, to accomplish tasks and build student skills
*I want you to be comfortable! I want you to ENJOY your lessons! I want you to USE your English skills, the ones you already have and the ones we will develop together!*
I feel most students need the opportunity to actually 'speak' in English, to talk about their lives and work, and learn to express themselves comfortably and confidently. Commendation and recognition of the things they do right is very important, I encourage those skills, but always with attention to the individual challenges of each student. My focus is on effective communication in English, so I am sure to address potential blocks to having useful English conversations (incorrect pronunciation, effectively answering questions, etc). If I identify an area that needs improvement, we focus on that for some time. If they use English in a business environment, I help them to be confident that their language skills sound professional and appropriate. I have several years of experience in lesson writing and adaptation for individual student needs. My students have been very happy and satisfied with this method of helping them to recognize their skills and then confidently build on those skills.
Please allow my students to speak for me:
"I hope to continue with you because I have learned very much with you...You have been a good teacher, but especially you have been a comprehensive and patient person." - Corporate learner (Spain), level increase from A1 to A2+
"I want you to know that you are the best teacher I have ever had in my life and that it has been a pleasure to be your student during these last two years." - Corporate learner (Spain), level increase B1+ to B2+
"You are the best!" - Private learner (Taiwan), Sales Manager international fashion brand, level intermediate