I'm Geoff, originally from Philadelphia in the USA. I work at a language center, teaching English to international students. I've been in the field for about five and half years now.
I have an MA in Teaching English as a Second Language and a BA in English Literature and Italian. I studied Italian in Perugia for about nine months and reached level C2 in
2009, but I try to keep up with it as best as I can back in the States.
In terms of classes I have taught, I have done all of the following: beginning through advanced grammar, reading, writing, listening, presentations, speaking, and vocabulary. I was also an IELTS speaking and writing examiner for three years, and TOEFL test administrator for two years. I have designed courses and lesson plans in use around 55 language centers across the USA.
I also have experience operating language centers; I was an Academic Director for three years, helping manage a school and get students into colleges and universities.
ELS Language Centers Columbus, OH/ San Antonio, TX
Instructor - 2011-2013, 2016-present
• Instruct ESL international students aged 14-70+
• Teach speaking, grammar, vocabulary, reading, writing, presentations, listening, and language technology
• Design lesson plans and exams to meet curriculum standards; proctor standardized tests
• Attend and lead in-service sessions on limiting teacher talk, using online instructional gradebooks and tools, and strategies for scaffolding lessons
Academic Director - 2013-2016
• Led a team of as many as 12 instructors in a center of 30-145 ESL students
• Created and implemented a new schedule every 4 weeks
• As HR representative, hired and terminated instructors, held annual review sessions with instructors, observed instructors for feedback sessions three times annually, conducted in-services on benefits
• Handled data entry to maintain student records, create certificates and transcripts, and order office supplies
• Devised curricula for contract students, collaborating with student agents to modify programs, and the creation of new classes used throughout the ELS network
• Nominated the center for pilot programs to change aspects of the curriculum as well as new tests
Transitional Staffing - 2015-2016
• Traveled to ELS centers across the country to create schedules and train new Academic Directors
IELTS Examiner - 2013-2016
• Evaluate the speaking and writing portions of the IELTS exam for international admissions to college
Kenyon College, Gambier, OH Bachelors in English and Modern Languages and Literature: Italian (honors)
University of Texas, San Antonio, TX Masters in Teaching English as a Second Language, 4.0/4.0
Università per Stranieri, Perugia, Italy Passed into level C2 on the CFE framework
In general, my aim is to minimize the amount of time I speak to give you the most opportunity to practice your fluency. In a typical class like grammar, I try to start with an activity or topic that targets a specific grammar point; this is to understand how much you know already. I then introduce a new rule. We go over general structure and discuss how it is used in real life. We then move on to exercises and close with an activity like a role play, where you will use the new grammar.
Tutor not yet rated.