I am a highly enthusiastic teacher with a passion for finding the best way to develop student's skills. I am dedicated to offering the best service possible for my students. That's why I'm constantly improving my teaching practice and approach.
- I graduated from one of the best universities in the world - Oxford University. During my degree, I was awarded two prizes for the high standard of my written work.
- I have 13 YEARS EXPERIENCE as a private tutor.
- I have taught ALL AGES (elementary/primary school through to adults) and abilities (Beginner to Advanced).
- Subjects I've taught are: English proficiency tests (TOEFL & IELTS), Business English, Academic English, English Conversation, elementary-school level English as a Foreign Language, advanced Grammar & Vocabulary, University & Job applications, SAT & ACT, GCSE & A Level (Music, Business Studies, Media Studies, Maths), the K-12 elementary school curriculum (including Phonics, Spelling, Reading & Language Arts), Music Theory, Improvisation & Jazz, Saxophone, and Piano (to foreign students).
- I've taught abroad (in Taiwan) for over three years so I'm used to teaching non-native speakers.
- I've worked in all kinds of settings at both public and private elementary & high schools (Charm Montessori School & Beaconsfield High School), test preparation & adult language centers (WHYGO Language Center), private language/cram schools (Alexander Academy), and at businesses (iChef).
Lessons in conversation / test preparation / homework help / essay writing / Grammar etc.
What do you want to learn? Whatever your goals are, I am adaptable and will change my teaching to fulfil your interests and learning needs. I am not one of those teachers who just follow a text book. Instead, I deliver personalized lessons that are different for every student. As a former Montessori teacher, I support student-directed learning (although I can make decisions for you if you prefer). Therefore, I will consult with you every lesson and regularly evaluate your level so that I only teach you what you need/want to learn.
Can you get all the answers right in your grammar book but still can't say a sentence without making mistakes? I have the solution. Through my extensive experience in curriculum writing and a lot of trial-and-error, I have created a wide range of innovative resources and effective exercises that actually work! And I have the results to prove it (for example, all my IELTS students have reached their target score, which means the majority of them have scored a band 7 or over). Doing tasks that are relevant to you and practicing in realistic contexts, your English will improve in no time!
Learn English through fun, up-to-date, and practical activities using the Internet (e.g. Youtube, social media websites, blogs etc.), pop music, TV & film clips, games, creative writing, social networking, etc.
Struggling to communicate? I can help you to improve your speaking skills by teaching you idioms, slang, and customs of communication i.e. the culture of the language (all the things a textbook can't teach you!). If you want, I can improve your pronunciation in British and/or American English. And most importantly, I will help you build the confidence you need to express yourself freely in English.
Do you quickly forget what you've learnt in lessons? I aim to balance structure with flexibility by ensuring you regularly review what we have covered in previous lessons. At the same time, my lessons are free-flowing so I can respond to what I notice you need to learn in the moment.
Are you often bored in English classes? This is probably because your teacher is lecturing rather than engaging with you. My lessons make you actively participate in the learning process. I believe in guiding students to knowledge rather than just giving it to them. So instead of correcting you, I will make you work out what the right answer is yourself, and ensure you understand why exactly it is correct.
Language teaching is not just about vocabulary and grammar. I also provide my students study tips & techniques that aid understanding and memorization. I am skilled at making teaching and learning material simple & organized, and I can show you how to do this for yourself so you can master independent learning.
Remembering is easier when you're relaxed. Whilst I take my job very seriously, I also understand the importance of enjoying lessons. Therefore, I create a learning environment that is patient, motivating, and interesting. Lessons can be as casual or serious as you prefer.