Test prep, Business English, accent reduction, and both grammar and pronunciation assistance from a certified and registered English educator? Yes! Meaningful conversations with vocabulary assistance, to help you get ready for life and work in an English-only environment? Certainly! An experienced and professional educator in both English as a subject at all learning levels, as well as in ESOL learning in classrooms, business environments and online? Unquestionably! Want to learn a new language rapidly and easily, in a fun and interesting way? Absolutely!!
Hello, my name is Patrick, and as a teacher with over 18 years of experience in assisting students of all ages and backgrounds to learn English in formal classrooms, online, in businesses, and for language test preparation, I look forward to being able to help you in your learning journey with lessons tailored to your individual needs, as we work together to improve your skills and confidence in using English. I have been where you are now, learning (and still improving) my own second and third languages, as well as living and working in environments where I did not speak the native language. So, if you need help studying or a test or to succeed in your chosen field of work, would like to improve your abilities as a beginning student, or simply want to have a chat to maintain and improve your conversational abilities, I know that I will be able to get you to the level you need to be at in the most effective and efficient manner possible.
I look forward to hearing from you soon!
Teaching and Leadership Experience
- Teaching Principal at Gorge Road School, Southland, from July 2015 to February 2016. As the teaching principal with no other senior management staffing allocated to the school, I led all elements of day-to-day school operations, from finance to property to curriculum, and more.
- Teaching Principal at Aka Aka School, in the Waikato District, from January 2013 to the end of June 2015. As the teaching principal with no other senior management staffing allocated to the school, I led all elements of day-to-day school operations, from finance to property to curriculum, and more.
- Aka Aka School, Sports Coordinator and Lead Teacher for E-Learning, 2012.
- Onewhero Area School, Numeracy Coordinator for Years 7 and 8, 2010
- ACG Strathallan School, Lead Science Teacher for Year 5/6 classes in 2007.
- Teacher in Bilingual Education (for 600 students, staff of 10 teachers) at Chongming Elementary School, Tainan City, Taiwan, 2003-2006.
- Year 5-8 (composite class) at Gorge Road School, from July 2015 to February 2016, teaching on a .5 basis and in the following subjects: Reading, Writing, Maths, and Mandarin.
- Year 6-8 (composite class) at Aka Aka Primary School, from January 2014 to the end of June 2015, teaching on a .5 basis and in the following subjects: Reading, Writing, Maths, and Mandarin.
- Year 5-8 (composite class) at Aka Aka School, from January 2013 to the end of 2013, teaching on a .5 basis and in the following subjects: Reading, Writing, Maths, and Mandarin.
- Year 7/8 (composite class) at Aka Aka Primary School, from January 2012 to the end of 2012.
- Year 3/4 (composite class), 5/6 (composite class) and Year 8 teaching positions at Onewhero Area School, in the Waikato District, from February 2008 to the end of 2011.
- Year 2 teaching position at ACG Strathallan School in Auckland, with additional responsibilities for Science classes at the Year 5 and Year 6 levels, from July 2006 to June 2007. For the last two terms of 2006, I was also a New Entrants teacher at the same school.
- Prior to coming to New Zealand, I was a teacher at Chong Ming Elementary School, an International School in Tainan, Taiwan, from September 2003 to June 2006, teaching from Years 1-6 as a homeroom subject teacher as well as leading bilingual education within the school. In addition, I was a secondary school homeroom subject teacher at private International High Schools in both Taiwan and South Korea from September 2000 to June 2003.
Other Positions of Note:
Currently: For the last three years, I have been working online as an ESOL teacher on learning platforms such as Verbling, Tealit.Talk, Eigox, and Cambly, as well as with two large teaching companies in mainland China.
English as a second language teacher (native speaker) at a Children’s Language Institute in Tainan City, Taiwan, from April 2000 to May 2002. Full-time. During my time in this position, I taught private classes to students, children at both the kindergarten and elementary school levels (all of the preceding in accordance with institute rules and regulations and using their teaching materials) and specialized elementary school classes using my own materials as well as those supplied by the institute. More information about my duties during this time can be made available upon request.
English as a second language teacher (native speaker) at E2 Children’s Institute, Changwon, South Korea, from August 1999 to April 2000. Full-time. During my time at E2, I was in charge not only of teaching ESL classes for the institute but also of developing the teaching materials and schedules for teaching those classes. In conjunction with my contract at E2, I also taught at a middle school for girls, Kim Suk Junior High School, where I taught students in a conversation class based upon materials of my own choosing (usually selections from the Interchange and Gateways text series).
English and social studies teacher at Semiahmoo Secondary School, South Surrey, Canada, from October 1998 to March 1999. Full-time. During my time at Semiahmoo, I prepared educational objectives and unit/lesson plans for three grades. I worked with individuals, small groups and large groups of students using a variety of teaching strategies which were mainly student-oriented (such as think-pair share and u-turn debates). I conducted after-school study and tutoring sessions for my classes so as to give weaker students a chance to keep up with classmates. I also worked with ESL, special needs and learning disabled students during my time at Semiahmoo.
English as a second language teacher (native speaker) in Taegu, South Korea, from July 1997 to July 1998. Full-time. During my time in my home institute, I was the sole native speaker for all classes at the institute, which meant I was responsible for making my own hour/class/lesson schedules and plans, for dealing with parents, and for interacting with the surrounding community to enhance the recognition level of the institute and its materials.
Learning can be both challenging and interesting at the same time, so I personalize a lesson as much as possible. My style is based on patience and instructional scaffolding, just as I would do in my classes in a formal school, so learners of all abilities always have a chance to improve as we gradually and methodically develop your vocabulary, comprehension, pronunciation, and grammar skills, as well as your abilities in reading, writing, and listening. At the same time, classes move quickly once either a foundation for learning has been established or work has been mastered, using a mix of discussions and questions, listening and writing exercises, activities from various textbooks, pronunciation practice, vocabulary building work, and presentations of various types.
Tutor not yet rated.