My name is Sam and I am from Canada. I have been teaching and tutoring students of all ages for more than 10 years. I have been teaching online for 7 years.
I love languages, and love to help people learn them. I speak Spanish and French, and recently started to study Korean. If you are a Spanish or French speaker who needs a little extra help in your language sometimes, I can certainly help with that. Sometimes it can be helpful, especially for beginners, for me to speak in your native language, but if you prefer to only speak in English, that is no problem.
I have experience working as a Job Search Specialist, so I can help you to prepare for job interviews if need be. I have a background in science, so I can help you with scientific vocabulary if you need that for your work or your studies.
I have over 10 years experience teaching ESL. For 7 years, I have been teaching ESL online. I also have experience teaching a variety of other subjects such as Sciences, Mathematics, Spanish, French, and job interview preparation.
Bachelor of Science, Major in Biology
University of New Brunswick
Completed in 2008
Bachelor of Philosophy in Interdisciplinary Leadership Studies
University of New Brunswick
Completed in 2007
Please find some select information from my work history below:
09/2012-present Instructor- online
• Online tutor for students in Korea, teaching English to all ages and levels, including adults
• Teach 1-on-1 and classes
• Teach general ESL, job interview preparation, and specific vocabulary for students and employees, often focusing on scientific and medical vocabulary
03/2004-12/2014 Tutor- Independent, Fredericton, NB
• Developed curricula and tutored students of all ages, teaching 1-on-1 and in groups
• Some subjects taught include: ESL, English Language Arts, Spanish, French and French Immersion, Sciences (general, Biology, Chemistry, Physics), Mathematics, job interview preparation, and more
07/2011-07/2012 Cross-Cultural Program Coordinator - UNB, Fredericton, NB
• Worked for the International Student Advisor’s Office at the University of New Brunswick
• Planned and coordinated a variety of events and programs for international students
• Did marketing, communications, and promotions for all events and programs
• Created and managed highly successful volunteer and mentorship programs
• Recruited, interviewed, selected, trained, and managed all volunteers
01/2011-07/2011 International Education Assistant- UNB, Fredericton, NB
• Developed, organized, and promoted events (through social media and other channels) for students and the public for International Development Week
• Developed an online pre-departure course for students studying abroad
01/2005-09/2005 Program and Operations Manager/Teacher, Atlantic Learning
Institute, Fredericton, NB
• Helped found a new business, managing operations and handling administration
• Designed and implemented ESL programs and courses for Koreans of all ages, teaching classes and 1-on-1
• Aided in the creation of a website and managed that website
I think that the most important thing abut learning is to enjoy it! Studying and working hard is important, but you will not advance far in your learning if you don't enjoy it. I like to find ways to help my students to love learning languages. I can focus on conversation, reading, writing, or grammar, depending on what you need, and we will find a way for you to enjoy it and to improve your language skills.
With conversational English, I like to discuss topics that are relevant or interesting to my students. If you are preparing for a language test, we can use examples from those tests to prepare. If you are seeking to improve your vocabulary for work, we can discuss topics relating to your work.
Homework is optional. Some of my students are too busy to do homework, and prefer to only study in class, others want the opportunity to study outside of our lesson times. According to your time and language goals, I can prepare some homework for you to work on. We can also discuss some fun ways to study outside of our class times, like watching a show in English, reading comic books, writing something on an interesting topic, or finding some other creative ways to improve your language skills.
If you are looking for structure and grammar, we can certainly do that as well.
Tutor not yet rated.