I am Laura and like many other people on Verbal Planet, I am a Spanish teacher who has experience and dedication for my job. However, every teacher, as every person, is a little different. So here, I am going to try to describe myself to encourage you to chose me as a teacher.
First: I have taught in very different places and to very different groups of students. From a small rural place in India to one of the highest skyscrapers in Hong Kong. I have lived in Asia and Europe and taught from children to retired businessmen. I see all of this professional settings as a combination to be able to give the class that you really need. All the people I have taught have not only learnt Spanish, but also have taught me how to be a better teacher and how to completely adapt to what my student needs.
Second: I love being up-to-date. I am fascinated with teaching apps, online programs, virtual whiteboards, etc. And, just like in a physical classroom, in a virtual one I like to mix all that is available to create a diverse teaching environment that allows the student to learn fully, using all senses.
Third: I am adaptable. I never know everything, so if there is anything you want me to do different, I am very much open to your suggestions. You are the learner, but, so I am. Teaching is, for me, a continuous space to learn, and, even though I have done it for a long time, what makes me be terribly excited about my job is that I keep on learning and enjoying all the time.
Fourth: Right now I am starting my PhD, from home, so I have very very very flexible schedules. You want to learn at a weird timing? No problem, I am pretty sure I can manage.
I am a fully qualified professional of Spanish teaching. Here are some examples:
- Right now, I am starting my PhD program on Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language, at the University of the Basque Country, Spain.
- I took several courses on IT tools and teaching foreign Languages.
- I am an official examiner of the DELE exams.
- I completed the official course on teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language from International House about 5 years ago.
- I have attended many congresses (both as a Speaker and as a Listener) for Spanish teachers in different places in Asia (Thailand, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Manila).
- I have a Masters Degree in Translation and Intercultural Mediation.
Above all, the most important thing for me as a teacher is that the student ENJOYS and LEARNS in my virtual classrooms. Therefore, some of my most important things when teaching are:
- Using a communicative, student-centered approach. The student knows better than anyone what he needs and, as a teacher, my job is to think how to reach those goals. I love to take time with my students to find out what they need from my teaching and adapt myself to their situation.
- I taught many years in Asia (mainly India and China) so I have a deep knowledge about the style of teaching there. That helps me a lot if you are a student from a similar background. For instance, if you have problems with specific grammar aspects, I am very much aware of how to make them easier for you.
- I have also taught multilingual groups in Europe, so I know the European Style of teaching and like to use a lot of realia (real situations or topics) in my classrooms.
- I have taught for professional purposes, like, business Spanish or Catalan.
- I have prepared many students for the DELE exams (and other exams, such as the EEE4 and EEE8), and I have done it successfully. As for the DELE, I am an official examiner myself so I know exactly what the examiners expect from the students, and that can be very good for you.
- Finally, I find it very important to have materials to teach and, honestly, my computer is so full of them, that I normally use about 2 hours a week to go over them and reorganise them according to my students needs.
The teacher did not even show up! No contact and no show. She was even online and would not respond to our emails. My 13-year old is extremely disappointed. He was there waiting. How disappointing for him :(.
Second lesson with Laura went very well! She definitely helps me clarify any doubts that I have gramatically, vocabulary-wise and pronunciation-wise. She is very patient and a great teacher!
I just had my first lesson with Laura and it went extremely well! She is very patient, humorous and she took the time to make sure I understand. I will definitely be continuing lessons with her.
in spite of her young age,she is very experienced good teacher,also very confident and ambitious on teaching.Very communicative and friendly but also keeps the control of lesson.Prepared and organized well.I recommend her any level of students