I'm Miguel Overton Guerra and I am a professional English teacher who is a native English and native Spanish speaker. I am TEFL certified with four years of classroom experience. I also worked as a translator for five years. I have prepared students for their SATs, CPE, ECCE, ECPE and TOEFL. I’ve taught all ages and levels (from A1 through to C2). I would love the opportunity to teach new students who want to learn and improve upon their current English language skills.
Regardless of the level, I want all of my students to understand that language is more than just a set of words strung together. Language is an expression of your ideas and thoughts and experiences. To be able to communicate these in another language is a remarkable achievement.
I was born in Madrid, Spain, but I am a native English and Spanish speaker who grew up in the United States and Canada. I just settled down in Paris and am getting to know my way around while slowly learning French. I have spent much of my life travelling, meeting new people and seeing the world. I enjoy literature, cinema, science and everything to do with art. I believe online classes are the best way to talk to a native speaker (in may case, English and Spanish) and learn in a comfortable, personalised setting where you’re free to make mistakes, improve, and with dedication, become fluent.
As a bonus, I am familiar with both British English and American English and can tailor classes to each student’s requirements. I find many students are interested in these differences and enjoy being able to sort them out with me.
Please feel free to send me a message and ask for further information or clarification of any doubt you may have. Or just book a trial lesson with me, and I will be automatically notified. Thank you!
My experience also includes:
• TEFL certification (120 hours + Business English);
• four years as an ESL in-class teacher;
• prepping students for the Language section of the SAT;
• training students for the Cambridge English proficiency exams, Certificate of Competency in English (ECCE), Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE), and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL);
• working as a proctor for the SAT and TOEFL;
• working as an examiner for the ECCE.
During our first lesson, expect me to ask many questions to understand your speaking level and to make sure that our lessons are relevant to your learning goals. I also want to know whether to keep our lessons light and conversational (travel, culture, news, politics, movies, food, etc.) or industry-specific (technical or business vocabulary). My goal is to help you take control of the lessons. The more I know about your passions, goals and expertise, the more I can help you forget your nervousness and achieve fluency.
One key thing I do with all of my students is to reassure and embolden them to speak. Practice is the key to learning a language. We build on past lessons to reach the next level of fluency. When I was a child in Canada, I learned French. Every day was filled with memorising new vocabulary, conjugating verbs, and practicing grammar. These are all essential, but there was one big problem - we weren’t taught to speak. Lessons were so structured, we were never allowed to speak freely to practice what we were learning.
(1) Requests to postpone a lesson will not be accepted if they're made less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled time. Rescheduling must be done through the site.
(2) If a student does not arrive in the first 15 minutes of the lesson, they will be considered absent, and will be charged for the lesson.
(3) If a student is late, the lesson will still end on time.
Tutor not yet rated.