My name is Tara and I have been a language tutor for 10 years. I teach English and I also have experience teaching beginner's Arabic and French. I live in Greece on a small, beautiful island called Ikaria. I have many different interests. I am learning the Greek language as a beginner and I work as a massage therapist. I also help to cultivate our land here, growing vegetables, fruit and olives. I also help in our family business making essential oils from the herbs here.
I have had many jobs in my life. I was in the Army for a short time and worked as an interpreter. I have always loved languages and teaching.
For my own well being and fun, I enjoy dancing, walking, meditation, yoga, bodywork and watching movies and boxsets. I am married to a wonderful Greek man and we live on our land with one wild cat and 3 chickens!
English Language Teaching Experience
• Private English Language Tutor, August 2007 - present
• English Language Teacher, British Council, Cairo, Egypt July – August 2009: intensive summer school classes for broad range of levels.
• English Language Teacher, Pre-Sessional Course, Coventry University August – September 2008: preparing foreign students for post graduate study.
• English Language Teacher, British Language Centre, Beirut, Lebanon October 2007 – March 2008: classes for adults from beginners to advanced level.
• English Language Teacher, English Sharp August 2007: tailor made tuition for individual students including cultural and leisure activities.
Foreign Language Teaching and Course Development
French and Arabic language tutor at Credenhill Camp, Hereford May 2010 – September 2014.
• Devised course programmes for long and short courses for a specialist Army unit.
• Delivered language training for army personnel preparing for deployment on operations.
• Compiled end of course reports for all students.
Other Teaching Experience
Assistant Tutor with the Bristol College of Massage and Bodywork February 2013 – December 2015.
• Prepare and deliver lessons for a Level 4 professional course.
• Assess homework folders each course weekend.
• Self-employed massage therapist and bodyworker December 2010 – Present.
Officer in the British Army May 2001 – April 2007.
• Troop Commander responsible for communication experts of different grades and experience in Germany, Iraq and Blandford.
• Arabic interpreter for a Field Human Intelligence Team, Al Amara, Iraq.
Education and Training
• MTI Level 4 Holistic Massage Diploma December 2010
• CELTA (Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults), Language Link, London, January 2007, Pass B
• Upper Intermediate French Course (Envol L211), Open University 2012
• Level 3 Arabic Course, Defence School of Languages, Beaconsfield August 2004 – October 2005
• Graduate of The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst May 2001 – April 2002
• BA (Hons), Leeds University, 1997 – 2000: History 2:1
• South Wilts Grammar School for Girls, Wiltshire, 1989 – 1996: A-Levels: French (A), History (B), Maths (C), 9 GCSEs
My approach to teaching languages is creative and relaxed whilst keeping to a well structured lesson plan. I aim to empower my learners and fully engage them in the experience of learning English. My lessons are interactive from the start with a strong emphasis on speaking, unless the learner needs to focus on other skills more.
As a language tutor and as a long term student of languages, I believe that lessons should bring the language alive. I aim to create enjoyable, dynamic lessons for my learners based on their needs and interests.
My teaching approach is empowering. I encourage learners to find their way of learning and I aim to facilitate their journey rather than dictate it.
Tutor not yet rated.