When it comes to learning to speak Italian through TV shows, there are several options that can provide both entertainment and language practice. Here are some popular TV shows that can help you improve your Italian skills. Remember to supplement your TV show viewing with additional language resources such as Italian subtitles, vocabulary lists, and practice exercises to make the most of your language learning experience. Enjoy the shows and buon apprendimento! (Happy learning!)
Best TV Shows for Learning Italian
- "Inspector Montalbano" (Il commissario Montalbano): This detective series is based on the novels by Andrea Camilleri. Set in Sicily, it offers a mix of intriguing crime stories and authentic Italian dialogue.
- "Gomorrah" (Gomorra - La serie): Inspired by Roberto Saviano's book, this gripping crime drama follows the gritty world of the Camorra, the Neapolitan mafia. It offers a realistic portrayal of Italian street language and dialects.
- "Romanzo Criminale": Set in 1970s Rome, this series revolves around a criminal gang's rise to power. It showcases a mix of standard Italian and Roman dialect, providing exposure to different linguistic variations.
- "Suburra: Blood on Rome" (Suburra - La serie): Based on the film of the same name, this crime drama is set in modern-day Rome. It explores the intertwining lives of politicians, criminals, and members of the Church, offering dialogue in both standard Italian and Roman dialect.
- "Don Matteo": This long-running Italian TV series follows the adventures of a Catholic priest who solves crimes in a small town. It features simple dialogue and is suitable for beginners or those looking to improve their conversational Italian.
- "La Casa de Papel" (Money Heist): Although originally a Spanish series, it is available in Italian on Netflix. Watching it dubbed in Italian with subtitles can help you practice listening skills and become familiar with common expressions.
- "Un Medico in Famiglia": This popular Italian sitcom follows the life of a doctor who moves back to his hometown and navigates his eccentric family. The dialogue is relatable and offers exposure to everyday conversations and colloquial language.
Learning Italian from YouTube
There are several excellent YouTube channels that can help you learn Italian effectively. Here are some of the best YouTube channels for learning Italian:
- Learn Italian with Lucrezia: Lucrezia is a certified Italian teacher who provides well-structured lessons on grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. Her videos are engaging, informative, and suitable for learners of all levels.
- ItalianPod101: This channel offers a wide range of Italian lessons, including vocabulary, grammar, culture, and conversation practice. They provide clear explanations and useful resources for learners at various proficiency levels.
- Italy Made Easy: Manu, an experienced Italian teacher, provides comprehensive lessons on grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. His channel offers a systematic approach to learning Italian, focusing on practical language skills.
- Italiano Automatico: Alberto offers immersive Italian lessons using the Automatic Language Growth (ALG) method. He focuses on natural language acquisition and provides interesting content for learners who want to improve their listening and comprehension skills.
- Italy Made Simple: Elfin provides practical Italian lessons for beginners and intermediate learners. His channel covers essential grammar topics, vocabulary, and everyday conversations. He also offers tips for language learning and cultural insights.
- Italian with Elisa: Elisa's channel offers a variety of lessons, including grammar explanations, vocabulary, and cultural insights. Her videos are well-structured, and she provides helpful examples and exercises to reinforce learning.
- Italywise: Cher provides language tips, cultural insights, and travel advice related to Italy. While not solely focused on language learning, her channel offers valuable content to supplement your Italian studies and immerse yourself in the Italian culture.
These YouTube channels and TV shows offer a wealth of resources and lessons to help you learn Italian at your own pace. Explore different channels and shows, find the ones that resonate with your learning style, and make the most of the valuable content they provide. Buon apprendimento! (Happy learning!)