I am CELTA qualified, and have over five years’ experience of teaching English online to junior, teen and adult students, from beginner to advanced levels. I am accomplished in teaching both individual and group classes, and in delivering general English, conversation and business English lessons.
I am skilled in both face-to-face and virtual teaching, having taught abroad (in Russia), taught English to international teenage students at a residential Summer school in the UK, and taught online for the past five years. In addition, I have successfully prepared students for IELTS and FCE exams.
Before my EFL career I taught at one of the UK’s leading universities for four years. Here I supported students whose first language was not English, and was nominated for two teaching awards. Furthermore, I have run my own business assisting non-English speaking university students with their academic writing.
In summary, I am a highly professional and results-orientated English teacher, committed to helping students make progress and reach their potential as language learners.
• Cambridge CELTA – Action English Language Training Ltd (UK) March 2012
• PhD Social Sciences - Cardiff University (UK) 2006 – 2009
• MSc Social Research Methods - Cardiff University (UK) 2005 – 2006
• MA Sociological Research - University of Essex (UK) 1997 – 1998
• BA(Hons) Psychology with Language & Stylistics in English - University of Luton (UK) 1993 – 1997
Online EFL Teacher - Self-employed June 2014 – Present
• Teaching junior, teenage and adult students via Skype, from elementary to advanced
• Teaching general English, discussion and Business English classes.
• Preparing students for IELTS exam.
EFL Teacher - BKC International House (Moscow, Russia) September 2012 – June 2014
• Taught junior, teenage and adult classes from elementary to advanced level.
• Successfully prepared students for the FCE exam.
• Taught group and one-to-one lessons.
• Attended monthly seminars on professional development and classroom practice.
EFL Teacher - Select English (Cambridge, UK) July 2012 - August 2012
• Taught teenage classes at elementary and intermediate level at a UK residential Summer school.
• Responsible for the pastoral care of students, supervised them on trips, and participated in
Cambridge CELTA – Action English Language Training Ltd (Leeds, UK) April 2012
• Undertook 6 hours of assessed teaching practice with pre-intermediate and intermediate
students (ages 18 – 55).
• Participated in 120 hours of in-class instruction on classroom practice, language awareness and
Manager – Student Writing Support (Bradford, UK) April 2011 – June 2012
• Ran my own online business providing proofreading, editing and language feedback services to
EFL university students for their essays, dissertations and PhD theses.
Teacher – Social Sciences - Cardiff University (Cardiff, UK) September 2007 – April 2011
• Nominated as Most Effective Teacher and Most Innovative Member of Staff in Cardiff University’s
2011 ‘Enriching Student Life Awards’.
• Provided academic and pastoral assistance, guidance and support to EFL students.
My teaching approach is student-centred, in that lessons can only be successful if they engage students' attention - thus I take time to know the student, know their study habits and preferences, know their likes and dislikes, their interests and hobbies etc. This enables me to then create lessons which will be interesting and enjoyable for the student.
I strive to make my lessons fun and enjoyable, and therefore create an atmosphere which will facilitate and encourage learning. I like to laugh and have fun, and want my students to do so as well! :)