A creed that has really struck a big chord in my life is pinned down in this quote by Samuel Johnson: "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance”. Hi, my name is Henry and I'm from South Africa. I hold a professional law degree, as well as two post-graduate degrees in Development Studies and Education Management, law and Policy. I have vast work experience within the field of Education, including 15 years’ experience teaching English as a Foreign Language, English for Academic purposes, English for Specific Purposes and Business-English in Taiwan, China, Sudan, Oman, Saudi Arabia and South Africa. Most of this experience lies within the fields of Higher Education, Adult Education and Corporate Education. I have a level 5 TQUK certificate in TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and an IELTS Academic English proficiency score of 8. I love traveling and photography and have blogged extensively about all my experiences living and teaching abroad. In total, I have worked in and traveled to 23 countries over a period of 7 years, and aim to see and experience as much as possible. I am married and am currently a freelance online home-based English tutor/teacher. I have met countless students online from all over the world to assist them in reaching their English proficiency goals. English is the Lingua Franca of the world, and in an ever shrinking 'Global village', it is the key to success. I hope to see you in my virtual classroom very soon.
1. B Ed (Hons) Education Management, Law & Policy (2016)
2. BA (Hons) Development Studies (2012)
3. B-Proc (Professional law degree) (1996)
1. Certificate in TEFL, International TEFL Teacher Training, 2004
2. TQUK level 5 Cert in TEFL (168 hour), TEFL Academy, 2018
3. ODETDP certifications - ETDP SETA, South Africa (Facilitation, OBE Assessment & SDF), 2012-2016
ACADEMIC ENGLISH PROFICIENCY
IELTS, British Council & University of Cambridge ESOL, 2012
Result: Band score: 8/9 for proficiency in Academic English
Edumax Solutions [SA] - September 2015 to Date
Training Facilitator & Tutor
Core Overview: Provides core education services, including: ICT / E-learning facilitation, ODETDP course facilitation, corporate soft skills training, and tutoring on a wide subject matter range (English, Business-English, ESL, EAP)
1. ESG Saudi Arabia (Interserve UK) - (2014 - 2015)
ESL & ICT Teacher
2. Pearson Institute for Higher Education - (2013-2014)
EAP/ESL, Law & Development Studies lecturer
3. Oman Ministry of Higher Education [Sultanate of Oman] - (2011-2012)
ESL/EAP & Business-English Lecturer
4. Learnthings Africa [SA] - (2009 - 2011)
ICT & E-Learning Facilitator
5. Council for British Teachers [Sultanate of Oman] - (2008 - 2009)
ESL & EAP lecturer
6. Winner Language Institute [Khartoum, Sudan] - (April 2008 - Aug. 2008)
Assistant-Director & ESL/ESP facilitator
7. Department of Education, South Africa - (Jan. 2007 - Dec. 2007)
Educator: Grade 8 & 9 English
8. Delter-Telfort International Business Institute [China] - (Aug. 2005 - Aug. 2006)
Business TEFL Teacher: (Business English, Legal English and Conversational English) to Chinese college students: Around several locations (branches) around China: Nanjing (Jiangsu province), Wuhu city (Anhui province), Liuzhou (Guangxi province) & Shanghai
9. Junior Oxford Bi-Lingual School [China] - (Dec. 2004 - July 2005)
ESL Teacher: (Kindergarten-aged children | Provided tailor-made ESP courses to companies | Tutored privately to individual students)
10. Cathy’s American School [Taiwan] - (July 2004 - December 2004)
EFL Teacher (Primary and secondary school children | Designed lessons to make the learning experience entertaining by using games | Tutored privately to individual students.
11. Koala Educational Institute [Taiwan] - (Oct. 2003 - June 2004)
EFL Teacher: (Classes and individuals from kindergarten to high school | Set and marked homework).
I believe in a student-centered approach. Building rapport and trust with students delivers the best results. I believe that coaching and training students to think and reason for themselves are crucial in their development. A tutor acts as a guide and facilitator of a student's learning process, which the student is ultimately responsible for. When the teacher's role is to guide, providing access to information rather than acting as the primary source of information, the students' search for knowledge is met as they learn to find answers to their questions. For students to construct knowledge, they need the opportunity to discover for themselves and practice skills in authentic situations. My focus is on the development of the critical analytical and independent thinking skills of the student.
With regards to learning, I believe:
• Giving students choices rather than directives will make them feel empowered to learn.
• All students are individuals and everyone learns in their own unique way.
• Learning is a lifelong process and I want to in still that passion in my students. For myself, teaching provides an opportunity for continual learning and growth. One of my hopes as an educator is to instill a love of learning in my students, as I share my own passion for learning with them.
With regards to teaching, I believe:
• Teachers should expect great things from everybody, regardless of skill, talent, ability, or disability.
• Teachers should engage with students personally as well as academically
• You can't teach everything to everyone and true learning requires many different types of knowledge. I use multiple methods of teaching (linguistic, visual, auditory, kinesthetic) to speak to students.
Tutor not yet rated.