My name is Jim. I am a U.S. citizen based in Taiwan where I am currently teaching English. I am TEFL Certified and hold a Bachelor's of Science degree in Business Management. I have been teaching English as a foreign language since 2016 in Taiwan to all age groups from children to adults. Additionally, I have previous online teaching experience through Topica Native where I have been teaching Vietnamese students and adults of all ages. Prior to teaching I held a business position for ten years with two financial services firms in NYC gaining business experience. Including those who want to gain conversational and grammar knowledge of English, I am also happy to help those interested in pursuing English skills relating to financial services and or business in general.
- Bachelor of Science - Business Management (Central Connecticut State University)
- 120 hours TEFL/TESOL Accredited Training (i-to-i) - ESL teaching experience (3 years)
- I currently teach regularly at an English Learning School. Our areas of focus range from speaking, pronunciation, phonics, grammar, essay writing, reading, reading comprehension, and vocabulary.
- Topica Native Online Teacher - Teaching adults and university students conversation skills through specific daily scenarios, utilizing Q+A, opinions, and facts on a daily topic as well as overseeing pair work conversation. Many different types of sentence structures are also worked on using phrasal verbs and idioms. There is also a focus on increasing vocabulary through definition and application in sentence form.
- I have also taught in many week long camps throughout Taiwan where students are immersed into a complete English speaking environment and participate in a series of individual and class events on speaking, grammar, historical culture, and on stage productions.
My approach to teaching is primarily based on the individual needs of each student. I am flexible in adjusting teaching style based on strengths and weaknesses. We all learn in different ways and therefore I don't think it's wise to stick simply to just one approach. Pronunciation, repetition, visuals, real life situations, grammar based, conversational focus, and letter writing (etc.) are areas I like to focus on.
Tutor not yet rated.