***I'm new to Verbalplanet, so I'm offering a discounted price for my first month!*** My name is Tessa and I'm an English language tutor. I'm a Native English speaker from Ontario, Canada. I have a TESL Diploma to teach English as a Second Language (TESL Diploma). This means that I'm certified to help you with pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary or anything else that you might need help with, including preparation for the CELPIP, Oxford Test of English, TOEFL and IELTS. I also have a Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts and a Bachelor of Education with a teaching certificate for the elementary grades.
I have a friendly and relaxed teaching style, yet it is also important to me for my students to improve! That is the best part of teaching! I believe learning a language has to be integrated into everyday experiences, which I capture in my activity sheets and power points and you get to keep the power points and all teaching resources after each lesson! I am enthusiastic about teaching ESL and have taught English in many countries including Guatemala, China, Thailand, and Peru.
FUN FACT: I am a dual citizen of both Greece and Canada and live in Greece for part of the year and in Canada for part of the year.
My lessons will be designed to fit your specific goals, so let me know what you would like to work on. I'm excited to help you with your English skills and I look forward to meeting you!
NEW: Now Offering - Pre-EAP Preparation. Prepare for your college EAP (English for Academic Purposes) course. Read EAP college texts, answer EAP reading comprehension questions and improve your listening comprehension skills for college.
Goal driven, self-starter with a positive perspective towards problem solving and a passion and enthusiasm for the English language and a strong commitment to connecting clients with reliable, useful publications. Excellent background in English, linguistics, English as a Second Language, Visual Arts and proficient at basic French. Proven success in helping clients with the editorial process for a variety of written documents including resumes, cover letters, essays and reports. Superior communication skills, easily interacts with clients and staff. Presents information in a variety of ways, emphasizing the relevance of classroom material to Canadian life and society in ESL resources and creating and self-publishing classroom material according to the Ontario curriculum and American K-6 curriculum for American clients. My publications have been marketed on social media sites, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and I am comfortable with social media promotion. I have additional abilities from my work as an educator in: Smartboard Learning, Canadian Language Benchmarks, PBLA, IELTS, TOEFL, CELPIP, Business Language English, Classroom Management, Whole Group Learning, Curriculum Design and Interactive Learning.
TESL ONT. Diploma (September 2016) - TESL ONT. Certification (Current)
TESL CANADA Diploma (June 2016) - TESL CAN. Certification (Current)
Canadian Centre for Language and Cultural Studies, Toronto, Ontario
Bachelor of Education, BEd, ONT. Teacher Certification, Grades K-6 (Current)
Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Ontario
Tribes Certified (January 2012)
Tribes Learning Community course, Lakehead University
Certificate in Running Records (October 2012)
Northern Ontario Education Leaders (NOEL)
Honours Bachelor of Fine Arts, spec. Visual Arts (October 2012)
York University, Toronto, Ontario
French language: Proficient at the basic level in Reading, Listening Comprehension, Writing and Speaking
Greek language: Proficient at the intermediate level in Reading, Listening Comprehension, Writing and Speaking
English as a Second Language Teacher at Richmond Hill Public Library and on Verbling, August 2015 – October 2018
Web Link: https://www.verbling.com/teachers/theodora
• Providing Editing Services
• Designed the curriculum for four English language courses taught at Richmond Hill Public Library and on www.verbling.com
• Preparing students for English proficiency exams such as the IELTS Academic exam, the IELTS General exam, the CELPIP exam and the TOEFL exam
• Teaching the Business English course- Resume Improvement, Cover Letters, Job Interviews, Business/Work Emails, Technology in the Workplace, Work Prospects
• Teaching English language classes at Richmond Hill Public Library and on www.verbling.com for students who are not able to make it to the in-person classes
Founded a Teaching Resource Business, Easy as ABC, to provide educational resources to educators in Canada and the United States March 2, 2013 – Current
Web Link: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Easy-As-Abc-Common-Core
• Developed educational resources through PowerPoint and Microsoft Word
• Applied knowledge of Graphic Design to create appealing and creative resources
• Marketed educational resources on social media websites to increase sales
• Responded to customer inquiries and requests
English as a Second Language Teacher on Topica Native, October 2015 – March 2016
• Teaching English language classes on lms.topicanative.edu.vn/
• Assessing students on Grammar, Pronunciation and Vocabulary
• Following the curriculum requirements as set out by Topica Native
Sylvan Teacher and English Specialist Teacher at Sylvan Education Centre, Thornhill, ONT. January 2015 – September 2015
• Tutored using materials which follow the Ontario curriculum according to grade level
• Designed the curriculum for drawing and painting classes and taught drawing and painting classes to children
Elementary Art Teacher at Beverly Acres Public School, Grade 5, Richmond Hill, Ontario April 2015 – May 2015
• Taught visual art lessons to grade five students at Beverly Acres Public School
• Gave regular feedback to students
Elementary Teacher at London Borough Schools, JK-Grade 6, London, England September 2014– March 2015
• Taught at schools in England including Brampton Primary School in Bexleyheath, Notre Dame Primary School in London and Northwood Primary School in Erith
Scholars Tutor at Scholars Education Centre, Vaughan, ONT. June 2013- May 2014
• Tutored students in reading, writing and mathematics from JK-grade 6
• Assessed student progress and set goals based on student needs after every tutorial
• Tutored with Scholars worksheets and manipulatives, which follow the Ontario curriculum according to grade level
Teaching Placement at Glenn Gould Public School, Grades 5 and 6, Vaughan, ONT. March 30, 2013 - April 23, 2013
• Taught 75-100% of the day, as was outlined in the practicum program
• Taught with Smartboard technology
• Developed lesson plans for English, math, science and art lessons
• Assessed student progress and development
Teaching Placement at Regency Acres Public School, Kindergarten, Aurora, ONT. November 12, 2012 - December 17, 2012
• Taught 75-100% of the day, as was outlined in the practicum program
• Taught with Smartboard technology
• Developed lesson plans for language and math lessons, taking into account the social development and needs of young students
Literacy Coach and Teaching Assistant at Algonquin Avenue Public School, Grade One, Thunder Bay, ONT. September 2012 - February 2013
• Took notes for running records
• Assisted students in developing their literacy through shared reading, guided reading, read alouds, word study and the writing process
• Coached students individually and in small groups
• Maintained anecdotal notes identifying the learning needs of students and skill development
Conflict Resolution Teacher with the Peace by Peace conflict management program, at Driftwood Public School, Grade 5, Toronto, ONT. September 2010 - March 2011
• Taught students how to resolve conflicts at school and home through role play, cooperative games and discussions
• Collaborated with a group of teachers to develop and implement lessons
• Assisted with class management on school field trips
Director of Arts Education at Camp Transfiguration, Arden, ONT. 2009-2011
• Designed and taught an Arts Education curriculum to campers aged 8-17 and maintained inclusive learning within a cabin as a counsellor (August 2009)
• Promoted to Director of Arts Education and embraced additional responsibilities in teaching and classroom management. Designed and taught an Arts Education curriculum (August 2010)
• Evaluated each student’s progress and adjusted strategies accordingly (August 2011)
• Implemented a positive discipline plan which promoted student responsibility, problem solving skills and student accountability (2009-2011).
Coordinator and Director of an Independent Art Studio, offering Private Lessons and Annual March Break Art Workshops, Oakville, ONT. 2008-2010
• Designed and taught a fine arts curriculum to students covering various art media including pencil and willow charcoal drawing, watercolour painting, acrylic painting and mixed media
• Taught private and semi-private art classes with an art history lesson for the first period
• Coordinated student enrolment and registration
My approach to teaching is friendly and relaxed.
I adjust the way I teach to meet the needs of advanced, intermediate and beginner students.
Advanced students are often interested in the origins of words. Therefore, we can talk about the French origins of many English words.
In addition to the origins of words, advanced students are often also interested in pronunciation.
With intermediate students, I especially make a point to increase vocabulary knowledge so that these students can successfully move into an advanced English level.
Of course, with all levels, students are individuals and have natural strengths and areas that are in need of improvement.
Therefore, in each lesson, I will type notes for the student with recommendations for study in three major sections, vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation.
In addition, I type notes on phrasal verbs, idioms and native expressions.
Last but certainly not least, beginner students have lessons with me that emphasize vocabulary and the basic functions of grammar.
For beginners, it is so important to create a solid grammatical foundation that can be built on in their future English language learning endeavors by myself and future educators.
Overall, my approach is scholarly, fun and accommodating so students will be excited to book the next class.
CONDITIONS: 1) Lessons must be paid in full to Verbalplanet as soon as they are booked. The lesson will not take place if the payment is not made at the time of booking, 2) Lessons booked and paid WILL NOT BE REFUNDED but may be rescheduled, 3) In case of cancellation less than 24 hrs before the lesson is due to begin, RESCHEDULING WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE
CONDITIONS - Arabic: الشروط: 1) يجب أن تدفع الدروس بالكامل ل Verbalplanet بمجرد أن يتم حجزها. لن يتم إجراء الدرس إذا لم يتم السداد في وقت الحجز ، 2) لن يتم استرداد الدروس المحجوزة أو المدفوعة ولكن قد يتم إعادة جدولتها ، 3) في حالة الإلغاء قبل أقل من 24 ساعة من موعد بدء الدرس ، RESCHEDULING لن تكون ممكنة
alshurut: 1) yjb 'an tadfae aldurus balkaml l Verbalplanet bmjrd 'an yatima hajzuha. ln yatima 'iijra' aldars 'iidha lm yatima alsaddad fi waqt alhajz , 2) ln yatima aistirdad aldurus almahjuzat 'aw almadfueat walakun qad ytm 'iieadat judwlatiha , 3) fi halat al'iilgha' qabl 'aqalu min 24 saeatan min maweid bad' aldars , RESCHEDULING ln takun mumkinatan
CONDITIONS - Spanish: CONDICIONES: 1) Las clases deben pagarse por completo a Verbalplanet tan pronto como se reserven. La lección no tendrá lugar si el pago no se realiza en el momento de la reserva, 2) Las lecciones reservadas y pagadas NO SE REEMBOLSARÁN, pero se pueden reprogramar, 3) En caso de cancelación con menos de 24 horas de antelación, la lección comenzará , LA RESCHEDULACIÓN NO SERÁ POSIBLE
CONDITIONS - Chinese: 条件：1）必须在预订后立即向Verbalplanet全额支付课程费用。如果在预订时没有付款，则不会上课，2）预订和支付的课程将不予退还，但可以重新安排，3）如果在课程开始前不到24小时取消预订，重新安排将不可能
Tiáojiàn:1) Bìxū zài yùdìng hòu lìjí xiàng Verbalplanet quán é zhīfù kèchéng fèiyòng. Rúguǒ zài yùdìng shí méiyǒu fùkuǎn, zé bù huì shàngkè,2) yùdìng hé zhīfù de kèchéng jiāng bù yǔ tuìhuán, dàn kěyǐ chóngxīn ānpái,3) rúguǒ zài kèchéng kāishǐ qián bù dào 24 xiǎoshí qǔxiāo yùdìng, chóngxīn ānpái jiāng bù kěnéng
CONDITIONS - Punjabi: ਸ਼ਰਤ: 1) ਜਿਵੇਂ ਹੀ ਉਹ ਬੁੱਕ ਕਰਵਾਏ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ, ਵਾਰਬਲਾ ਪਲੈਨਿਟ ਲਈ ਪੂਰੇ ਪਾਠ ਵਿੱਚ ਭੁਗਤਾਨ ਕਰਨਾ ਲਾਜ਼ਮੀ ਹੈ. ਬੁਕਿੰਗ ਦੇ ਸਮੇਂ ਅਦਾਇਗੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਕੀਤੀ ਜਾਏਗੀ ਤਾਂ ਸਬਕ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋਣਗੇ. 2) ਬੁੱਕ ਅਤੇ ਅਦਾਇਗੀ ਕੀਤੀ ਪਾਠਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਰਿਫੰਡ ਨਹੀਂ ਕੀਤਾ ਜਾਵੇਗਾ ਪਰ ਮੁੜ ਨਿਯੁਕਤੀ ਕੀਤੀ ਜਾ ਸਕਦੀ ਹੈ, 3) ਪਾਠ ਤੋਂ 24 ਘੰਟਿਆਂ ਤੋਂ ਵੀ ਘੱਟ ਸਮਾਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਰੱਦ ਹੋਣ ਦੇ ਸਮੇਂ , RESCHEDULING ਸੰਭਵ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋਵੇਗਾ
Śarata: 1) Jivēṁ hī uha buka karavā'ē jāndē hana, vārabalā palainiṭa la'ī pūrē pāṭha vica bhugatāna karanā lāzamī hai. Bukiga dē samēṁ adā'igī nahīṁ kītī jā'ēgī tāṁ sabaka nahīṁ hōṇagē. 2) Buka atē adā'igī kītī pāṭhāṁ nū riphaḍa nahīṁ kītā jāvēgā para muṛa niyukatī kītī jā sakadī hai, 3) pāṭha tōṁ 24 ghaṭi'āṁ tōṁ vī ghaṭa samāṁ pahilāṁ rada hōṇa dē samēṁ, RESCHEDULING sabhava nahīṁ hōvēgā